Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Work is privilege

Many a times I begin to wonder when the time would come when my body gives way, that is, when I would no longer be able to do the things that I often take for granted, whether it be lifting heavy objects, straining every inch of my muscle or just pushing myself to exhaustion, both mentally and physically.

Already, I’m beginning to feel the effects of aging Wounds take a slight bit longer to heal, tiredness sets in earlier, the metabolic rate drops substantially and well, you know the drill.

Having said that, I’m thankful for the many opportunities that I get to slave or labour away at some form of physical work, albeit taking it slightly slower and more careful not to hurt my back in the process.

Yes, I am indeed aging. But I guess one of the benefits of being poor enough to have to do most things yourself is that you get to maintain yourself a little better than just another rich bloke who figures that life’s luxury means not having to lift a finger for anything.

What foolishness. Everyone knows that muscles not utilised will rot away, just like our minds. They all need some form of exercise. And believe me, there is no substitution whatsoever for the tried and tested remedy of sheer exercise. No amount of vitamin pills, diet or mind-bending astro physics is going to help. There is simply no escape.

So, do yourself a favour. Be thankful that you can still lift boxes and well, just about do all forms of “donkey work” because they really are blessings in disguise. Just think, would you rather indulge your body in laziness (AKA luxury living) and rot earlier or would you rather keep up the hardwork and keep your engine (body) in working order?

No comments: